This yummy Annabel Karmel cottage pie will go down a treat to every age group in your family. Purée to the preferred consistency for smaller babies.I still purée meat to a lumpy consistency,as Amelia finds it hard to chew.
Original recipe below can be altered to suit your preferable taste.We are not lovers of Mushrooms or Turnip/Swede in our house,so have left out the Mushrooms and added Parsnip instead of Turnip/Swede.
You could make one big pot or smaller pots for the smaller ones and freeze. Layering is optional, you can also mix it all up like a traditional cottage pie.
Serves 6, Prep Time 10 mins, Cooking time 77 minutes.
250g swede, peeled and chopped
200g carrots, peeled and chopped
A generous knob of butter
2 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
450g minced beef
1 large onion, finely chopped
100g leek, finely chopped
100g red pepper, finely chopped
150g button mushrooms, diced
4 medium tomatoes, skinned, de-seeded and chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp dried mixed herbs
1 beef stock cube dissolved in 350ml boiling water
675g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
50g unsalted butter
6 tbsp milk
Salt and a little white pepper
225g frozen peas, cooked
1 beaten egg.
1. Cook the carrots and swede in boiling lightly salted water for 20 minutes or until tender and then mash with the knob of butter until smooth.
2. Heat half a tablespoon of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and sauté the minced beef for 7 or 8 minutes or until the liquid has been evaporated. Remove the beef from the pan and set aside.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a fairly large casserole and sauté the onion and leek for 3 minutes.
4. Add the red pepper and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 4 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3 minutes.
6. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, herbs and beef stock and simmer for about 30 minutes. Season to taste.
7. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, then drain. Return the cooked potatoes to the empty saucepan and mash together with butter, milk salt and pepper until smooth.
8. Place the mashed carrots and swede in the base of a glass ovenproof dish (approximately 18cm diameter / 7.5 cm deep) or use mini dishes to make individual portions.
9. Arrange the meat on top, then cover with a layer of cooked peas and top with a layer of potato.
10. Brush the potato with the beaten egg and cook under a preheated grill for 6 to 7 minutes or until the top is browned.
Enjoy, we love this! T xx